CDMP certification Levels and requirements
Individuals are welcome to remain at any level without pressure to advance. You can decide what certification level you want to be and if you wish to proceed further.
Minimum experience is provided as a guideline only, to taking the certification exams, with the exception of Master level.
^Master level has a minimum level of experience required. As part of the process you will need to submit a CV for review here.
Master evidence assessments incur a usd$50 administration cost.
The exam question coverage by each of the 14 topics is:
- Data Management Process – 2%
- Big Data – 2%
- Data Architecture – 6%
- Document and Content Management – 6%
- Data Ethics – 2%
- Data Governance – 11%
- Data Integration and Interoperability – 6%
- Master and Reference Data Management – 10%
- Data Modelling and Design – 11%
- Data Quality – 11%
- Data Security – 6%
- Data Storage and Operations – 6%
- Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence – 10%
- Metadata Management – 11%
Learn more about how DAMA International supports exam preparation for professionals
All exams have 100 multiple choice questions. You will have 90 minutes to complete the exam once you start. If English is not your main language you can purchase the ESL version, where you will get an additional 20 minutes to complete the exam. All exam purchases include a 40 question Data Management Fundamentals Practice exam.
help develop the Profession
Data management is one of the youngest professions. Mature professions have standards, expected performance, review and continuous examination. This improves the profession’s outcomes over time. It is through the gradual improvement and encouragement that professions grow to be held in regard and trust.
To become a professional psychologist, it requires at least four years at university, then two years of professional development with fortnightly supervision, workshops and written case studies. One cannot doubt the quality of young psychologists as a whole. They are well trained and mentored through the initial phases of their working life.
Data Management aspires to attain over time the:
- Maturity of the industry like accounting, medicine.
- Globally recognised standards such as Project Managers have PMI and Prince and Service Managers have ITIL and ITIL certifications.
- Common language – better quality methods and will improve ability to collaborate within the industry.
your own Personal Development
Many of us work in jobs that did not exist when we started (even from 5 years ago!)
In order to remain relevant to the economy, professionals need to participate in ongoing professional development. This can take the form of on-the-job training, mentoring, supervision, professional society membership and attendance, conferences or training.
Certification includes an expectation (and therefore a guarantee) that the certified person actively works to increase their personal capabilities, skills and knowledge.
- Ensures well-rounded skills and capabilities
- Enables focus on strengths and weaknesses
- Commitment to ongoing participation in the industry
- Commitment to constantly improving quality in your own work
Jobs in the USA and Europe are increasingly searching for certifications of data management capability in job advertisements. In other words, certification is a path to sustained and enhanced global employment opportunities over the next decade.
Seen this before: Data Governance Consultant – CDMP Preferred
The market is in early recognition that reducing risk in employment or contracting will come through certification. We have witnessed a number of engagements or employment, where the outcomes failed due to a mismatch in the person’s skill set and the particular data management capabilities required.